Monday, August 25, 2008

Second Life for Dummies

I have to say, overall, that I was very impressed with this book. There were a few odd directions that were already dated by the time I tried them in SL (meaning the screens aren't exactly as they appear in the book), but for the most part, its no-nonsense, easy-to-understand guidelines for (almost) anybody. Hey, I'm not a techie and if I could get through the book, pretty much *anybody* can!

I especially appreciated the short section about the Teen Grid, which is often overlooked. (We've been looking into doing some outreach onto the Teen Grid at work, but finding information on it is rare, compared to the amount out there on Second Life.)

I thought the writeups on locales of interest was rather sparse. There wasn't nearly the detail in that section that Second Life: A Visitor's Guide featured--but then again, that was all the SL Visitor's Guide was about--SL for Dummies covers much, much more. So, I think its forgivable.

Check out the Higher SLeducation wiki to find some of my notes gleaned from this book.