Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Podcasting 101 for Training and Development by Kaliym A. Islam

I can't say that this is an easy read, though it certainly wasn't one of the most difficult I've come across on the subject of training (or podcasting for that manner). Rather than focusing on the technology side of it, Islam's main focus is the organization and development of the podcasting materials, using the Six Sigma method as a model. I hadn't read much about Six Sigma when I started this book and, though most of it seemed pretty straight forward, a bit of background in the method would probably be helpful for readers.

If you're looking for a technical manual for creating podcasts, this isn't the book for you.

However, if you already have a working knowledge of the technical aspects and are looking for some guidance in kicking your skills up a notch and developing something that might actually have an impact, Podcasting 101 is worth looking into. The resource section in the back has a multitude of gems, though I can certainly see where they could age rapidly.

I noted several tips and have more of those in my Podcasting Reading Journal on my new wiki, Poducation. Actually, this book was the first addition!